Team USA (FIVB)
Watch USA Volleyball take on Bulgaria in the FIVB World League on June 3 and 4 at 8 PM ET on Universal Sports.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Seven Olympians and three athletes who competed for their colleges in 2014 highlight the U.S. Men’s National Team preliminary roster for the 2014 FIVB World League.
The FIVB World League is the premier annual international men’s volleyball competition. Teams compete for six weekends of pool play in hopes of qualifying for the Final Round and a chance to win $1 million. This year, the U.S. Men, ranked No. 4 in the world, will play No. 2 Russia, No. 6 Bulgaria and No. 9 Serbia.
“I’m especially excited to have Reid and Sean available for World League,” U.S. Head Coach John Speraw (Los Angeles) said. “Neither was available last year. Their leadership will help us in very challenging environments in Eastern Europe. Both are playing very well. I feel good about where they are at right now.”
The other Olympians on the roster all competed in London in 2012: Matt Anderson (West Seneca, N.Y.), Russell Holmes (Fountain Valley, Calif.), Paul Lotman (Lakewood, Calif.) and David Smith (Saugus, Calif.).
The three collegians – USC’s Micah Christenson (Honolulu, Hawaii), BYU’s Taylor Sander (Huntington Beach, Calif.) and Stanford’s James Shaw (Woodside, Calif.) – on the roster have all played internationally as part of the USA Volleyball High Performance Program. But only Christenson has played with the senior national team.
“There are some very good collegiate players that are going to start moving onto the roster,” Speraw said. “Both James and Taylor had great seasons. I wanted to get Taylor in the gym last summer, but it didn’t work out academically. And I think James has improved a great deal over last year.
“Micah proved last year that he can play on the senior team. I thought he did a great job at Grand Champions Cup.”
Sander played his senior season at BYU this year and led the team to the NCAA Men’s Division I-II semifinals. He was also named the AVCA Player of the Year. Shaw, who just completed his sophomore season at Stanford, helped the Cardinal to the NCAA championship match, where it fell to Loyola of Chicago. He was an AVCA first team all-American.
Christenson just completed his junior season at the University of Southern California and was also named an AVCA first team all-American.
The preliminary roster includes eight outside hitters: Anderson, Rooney, Sander, Lotman, Priddy, Tony Ciarelli (Huntington Beach, Calif.), Jeff Menzel (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and Garrett Muagututia (Oceanside, Calif.).
The team includes four middle blockers: Holmes, Smith, Max Holt (Cincinnati, Ohio) and Futi Tavana (Kalaheo, Hawaii). It features four setters: Christenson, Shaw, Kawika Shoji (Honolulu, Hawaii) and Ryan Ammerman (Denver, Colo.) and two opposites: Carson Clark (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and Murphy Troy (St. Louis, Mo.). Finally, the liberos are Erik Shoji (Honolulu, Hawaii), Alfee Reft (Oxnard, Calif.) and Dustin Watten (Long Beach, Calif.).
The U.S. staff can choose 14 players from the 22-man roster to compete each weekend, as long as there are two designated liberos.
U.S. Preliminary Roster for the 2014 FIVB World League
No. Name (Position, Height, Hometown, College)
1. Matt Anderson (OH, 6-9, West Seneca, N.Y., Penn State)
2. Sean Rooney (OH, 6-10, Wheaton, Ill., Pepperdine)
3. Taylor Sander (OH, 6-4, Huntington Beach, Calif., BYU)
4. David Lee (MB, 6-8, Alpine, Calif., Long Beach State)
5. Ryan Ammerman (S, 6-9, Denver, Colo., UC Irvine)
6. Paul Lotman (OH, 6-7, Lakewood, Calif., Long Beach State)
7. Kawika Shoji (S, 6-3, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
8. Reid Priddy (OH, 6-4, Richmond, Va., Loyola Marymount)
9. Murphy Troy (Opp, 6-8, St. Louis, Mo., USC)
10. Tony Ciarelli (OH, 6-6, Huntington Beach, Calif., USC)
11. Micah Christenson (S, 6-6, Honolulu, USC)
12. Russell Holmes (MB, 6-8, Fountain Valley, Calif., BYU)
13. Futi Tavana (MB, 6-7, Kalaheo, Hawaii, BYU)
14. Jeff Menzel (OH, 6-6, Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Santa Barbara)
15. Carson Clark (Opp, 6-6, Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Irvine)
16. Dustin Watten (L, 6-0, Long Beach, Calif., Long Beach State)
17. Max Holt (MB, 6-9, Cincinnati, Ohio, Penn State)
18. Garrett Muagututia (OH, 6-5, Oceanside, Calif., UCLA)
19. Alfee Reft (L, 5-10, Oxnard, Calif., Hawaii)
20. David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
21. James Shaw (S, 6-8, Woodside, Calif., Stanford)
22. Erik Shoji (L, 6-0, Honolulu, Hawaii, Stanford)
Head Coach: John Speraw
Team Manager: Andrea Becker
Assistant Coaches: Matt Fuerbringer and Mike Wall
Technical Coordinator: Anton Willert
Consultant Coach: Erik Sullivan and Mike Sealy
Athletic Trainer: Aaron Brock
(From USA Volleyball Press Release)